Family Growth Term 4 2017
Week 5: The Most Excellent Way
Playing your part as Jesus’ family is less about the gifts you have and more about your character.
1 Corinthians 13
You will need
Access to the internet and YouTube
Pre-primary, primary school Activity
In your family or growth group watch the video about the love mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13 (Search YouTube for “1 Corinthians 13 Love Valentines Day Movie Video”)
High school Activity
1 Corinthians 13 is often read at weddings as it is a beautiful description of how couples should love each other. When Paul first wrote these words however, they were not written for couples in love. Paul was writing to a church, to members of the body of Christ. If we count ourselves as part of Gods family it means that these words should also encourage us to love others like this too.
As we serve we can tend to just do what we feel we want to do, and what we are good at. But love drives us to serve others wherever the need is, not just where we are gifted. Sitting together in families or growth groups think about the needs around you and how you might love people like it says in 1 Corinthians 13.
For example it may mean that:
- We will help someone who is being bullied at school or harassed at work, even when we really don’t want to step in.
- We will wait patiently for someone to finish what they are saying before we have our say.
- We will do the ugly job (like cleaning the toilets).
- We won’t want to brag about our actions, family or belongings.
- We will offer to help when we see someone struggling with a job.
- We will trust each other with our secrets and fears.
As we pray together we ask that your Holy Spirit will teach and help us to love each other with the love described in 1 Corinthians 13.
In Jesus name we pray.